A mother’s love can be uplifting, empowering, unconditional and smothering at the same time. Sometimes, you just want to tell ma to back off, then there are those times that she’s spot on with her advice, side eyes and “I told you so’s.” We here at the Brew have put together a best of
list of the advice we’ve received from our moms that may not have made a lick of sense back in the day, but now that we’re seasoned and spicy, it all rings true.
Fleur’s Mom; baby Fleur & the Easter bunny
Fleur’s wisdom comes from her mother and grandmother:
- Try to find a man who loves you more
- Never write anything down that you don’t want repeated
- A dog that brings a bone will carry one away (meaning if someone gossips to you, they’ll gossip about you)
- Never date a man more than 10 years your junior or senior
- The same people you see on your way up, you’ll see on your way down so be nice!
- Sleep eight and drink eight!
Elphie, her mom…her mom’s ‘fro
Elphaba’s mom and grandma pushed her to be an artiste
and have a great sense of humor:
- Easy D. (her rap name) always encouraged my creativity. She knew I was an ‘extra dramatic’ child. She’d haul me from ballet to piano, theater and drawing every Saturday until something ‘stuck.’ It’s because of her, I have had a life long love with all things artistic.
- She encouraged me to be a ‘doer’ and get involved in life…even though I’m a bit of a loner (though she calls it ‘kind of bitchy’) by nature.
- My grandmother taught me to never bother to be rude. Just smile and nod, eventually they will go away. (That lady rocked)
- Treat yo’self! Don’t wait for handouts, if you dont treat yourself well, how do you expect other people to?
- True friendships last a lifetime. Though presents are wonderful and should be graciously accepted. But know the person bearing the most gifts isnt always a friend.
- “Don’t you let no gotdamn man see you cry! And don’t you kiss his gotdamn ass!” That’s a quote…sometimes she gets extra ignorant for no good reason.
- Keep your sense of humor…cause life can suck.
- Drink water, or your skin will look gray and ashen. Black does indeed crack if you don’t take care of it. Exfoliate often and use sunscreen.
My Mom dressed me in boy colors
My mother is very much a get up and get ‘er done kinda lady. Actually getting her to sit still
so she can impart wisdom is rather difficult. She is a living example in every area of her life so I’ve learned so much just by watching her in action.
- Be smooth on the surface but paddling like a duck underneath
- “If you’re mad, you better get glad!” and “Oh, you mad? Only dogs go mad!” (I always took those to mean never let others pull you out of character)
- Always count your change (you have no idea how often cashiers seemingly can’t do math)
- If you want it, work for it
- Always keep a snack in your purse, emergency glue (if you break a nail) and have a snap-on ponytail handy (yes, we’re about that Emergency Remy life)
- Keep a rainy day fund and ALWAYS carry cash, you might get stranded (she’s a bit of a Debbie Downer realist in that regard)
- Always have a plan; preparation is key
- Nobody takes better care of you, than you… so care for yourself from the inside out…junk in, junk out!
Piper’s outspoken Mom & a young Witch P #mushroomgamefierce
If you know Piper, then you’re familiar with her mom’s “I say what’s on my mind” text messages and advice. Here’s some of her best words of wisdom:
- Always read a lot, you have a big butt and people won’t take you serious if you’re not smart
- Try not to ever get into a physical fight with another girl, but if you do, rip her clothes off so she’ll be too embarrassed to keep fighting
- Don’t date men who think they are better looking than you, pretty men don’t think they have to buy presents
- My life was significantly impacted when she mastered text messaging. Why on earth did I ever encourage this? Well actually I know why, because I wanted a break from the 4,000 phone calls a day! Here’s an example: A text from mom: “Good morning daughter, I was looking at your pictures, you did great with your weight loss, but you should still lose 10 more lbs, ok?” Now in her defense, yes, I have recently lost a good deal of weight, however….. Excuse me lady???
- I attribute most of my new body to my diligence as it relates to drinking water, something my mom is huge on, in fact, she only drinks water. I often hear her advice ringing in my head “you really need to stay away from that soda, water is the only thing you should be drinking”. I’ve never seen a pimple or blemish on her face and even as she ages, her skin remains supple. Alas, as it turns out, she was right. Now, water is the only thing I drink, and also the only thing I WANT to drink.
Taking care of yourself from head to toe, inside and out, is the best advice from all of our mothers and grandmothers. Good health lays a solid foundation for life. We’re pleased to participate in the Nestlé® Pure Life® campaign that encourages everyone to follow mom’s wisdom and take better care of themselves. So, do a Witch a solid (#feedawitch) and simply click this link and, if you’re so inclined, leave a comment with the best advice you’ve ever received from your mom. How have those words of wisdom made you a better person? Add the hashtag #momswisdom and tell them “Witches’ Brew sent me!”
We’ll be sharing more healthy tips in the coming weeks.
Thanks to Nestlé® Pure Life® Purified Water for sponsoring today’s discussion. Additional consideration provided by Linqia (words & opinions are our own). Nestlé® Pure Life® is the number one bottled water brand by volume according to Beverage Marketing Corporation, Nestlé® Pure Life® Purified Water offers a number of healthy hydration options and is committed to helping families live healthy, active lifestyles.
Want more Witches’ Brew?